Youth Champion Awards
PERIOD recognizes there are thousands of menstrual activists and groups around the globe doing excellent work to advance menstrual equity, and we also recognize there are often champions that stand out in their leadership, collaboration, and commitment to menstrual equity we’d like to celebrate and highlight.
In honor and celebration of young menstrual activists, PERIOD. wants to highlight and celebrate progress in the menstrual movement to amplify and reward young activists for their incredible impact and contributions to end period poverty and stigma in their own community, as part of PERIOD’s annual fundraiser, State of the PERIOD.
Nominations are due July 9, 2021.
Award Applications are due August 2, 2021
Nominations are due July 9, 2021
Youth Awards Eligibility:
- Ages 15 - 25 years old
- Live in the United States
- Collaborated with a club, group, or organization to address menstrual equity
- Award winners do not have to be connected to PERIOD chapters or students to be eligible for this award
- Pushed boundaries to advance menstrual equity in their community, reducing period poverty or stigma in any of the three award categories: service, education, or advocacy
- Youth must be nominated by anyone who can speak to the applicant's character and commitment to advancing menstrual equity in their community
- Only nominated youth will be eligible to apply for an award
- Award nominations must be submitted by July 9th, and applications are due August 2, 2021.
Nominated youth who identify as members of historically marginalized communities, including BIPOC or low-income communities, will be prioritized, but are not required.
Nomination Rules: Multiple nominations for the same person are gladly accepted, but will not guarantee the person will be given additional consideration for the award. PERIOD’s Youth Advisory Council members and staff are not eligible to receive this award.
Award celebrations will be a virtual event to promote safety and increase awareness and accessibility for all who are interested to attend. More details about the celebration event will be announced in Summer 2021.
Youth Champion Awards Timeline
- June11: Nominations Open
- All nominated individuals will be invited to apply for this award via email
- Nominations close July 9, 2021
- July 1: Award Applications are open for submission
- Only award nominees will be invited to apply for this award
- Applications can be submitted on an on-rolling basis throughout July 19th.
- The application deadline is August 2, 2021
- August 23: Application Status will be shared.
- Week of September 27: Youth Awards Celebration
To nominate a young menstrual activist for this award, please visit period.org/youthawards by July 9, 2021.
PERIOD Awards Committee
PERIOD will be working with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to review and assess evaluation of award criteria and winner selection.
Ideal candidates are young menstrual activists who have pushed boundaries to advance menstrual equity in their community, reducing period poverty or stigma in any of the following categories. There will be one award in each category.
Award winners will be celebrated and highlighted at PERIOD’s annual fundraising events in the Fall of 2021 and will receive a $2000 honorarium in recognition of their efforts and contributions to advancing menstrual equity in their community.
Award finalists and PERIOD’s 2020-21 Microgrant recipients will also be highlighted and celebrated during State of the Period, to continue elevating and celebrating the contributions of young menstrual equity activists and groups around the country.